Sunday, May 20, 2012

Stress and music dont mix

     ...So, you're gone again. And even though I'm surrounded by our 4 loud little children, I'm alone. I used to write in my journal all the time, and I haven't since we've been married because I have you to tell everything to. But when you're gone as you've been so often lately, I begin to need to write and sort out my thoughts... 
    Yesterday I sang the worst I've sung in a long time. The stress got to me. It was a song that I was confident in. "We've only just begun" for a wedding reception. I was flat for most of the song. Really flat. I'm never that flat. Anyway, I guess it was the stress of just having had to run up to the airport which is 1 1/2 hours away to take you your passport so you could get on your flight to Germany, and then barely making it back to the church after dropping off my kids at yet another babysitter.... I'm not mad at you, just frustrated at myself for not being able to pull it all off.
    So, I sang  as the bride and groom were entering the reception. They were going to have a ring exchange ceremony, and they got to the little "alter" so to speak (really it was an arch that the Bishop stood under) pretty quickly. We hadn't practiced with them at all, and I could tell by the looks the bride was giving me that she wanted me to be done singing long before the 2nd verse was even started. Unfortunately the pianist couldn't see the unspoken signals the bride was giving us.  So when I ended the 1st verse I reached over and pulled the last page of the music over for the pianist and whispered, "End it. She want's us to be done" she was confused and fumbled out some wrong chords and the song ended awkwardly and abruptly. Smooth right? Ugh. Luckily all the focus was on the bride and groom and not us. At least that's what I'm telling myself.....