Friday, March 12, 2010

Thinking

I have one piano student. I've had many piano students in the past, but now I have 4 young children, a husband in the army that leaves alot, and I don't have time for piano students. Last year I thought that I needed to make some more money to pay for my new fancy piano, but I just couldn't get myself to really recruit students. My plate is pretty full already. Anyway, this one student I have because he came to me last year telling me he wanted to learn to play the piano for his mission. How could I refuse? He was almost 18, and in my experience, if you're motivated, you can learn plenty in a year as an adult, certainly enough to play the hymns in the LDS hymn book. Well, we began the lessons, and he has struggled. Struggled much more than any of my students have. He has a very hard time hearing the music,-if that makes sense, and he has no sense of rythm, but he's trying. He needs to play something for his senior project that is pretty, but not too difficult. So, yesterday afternoon, right before I picked up my children from school, and during my 2-yr-old's nap, I wrote a little piano solo for him. I called it "Thinking".